Sunday, April 29, 2012

Week 24 - April 23, 2012


Hi everyone!

Well, I fought the good fight here in Versailles, and my time is up. We got the call on Saturday that Elder S is going to be the district leader here, and that I'm leaving for a new area. We don't know what area. You only get told if you're going to be a leader or trainer, the rest is a mystery until you go to the transfer meeting or get rides and things figured out from your zone leaders. So we speculate that I'm off to Shelbyville KY, because the other areas that are losing elders are zone leaders or follow-up training new people. But next week I'll be able to tell you for sure.

Us!
To be honest, I'm glad to be going. The ward is seriously so fun. The last few days have been really sad, saying goodbye to all of these people that I love. A couple of people have thanked me for my work and diligence, and it really makes me feel good when the people of the ward pay attention to the missionaries. I feel so ridiculous for never really working with the elders or taking an interest in them. So leaving the Frankfort ward is a bummer, but I feel like I've learned all that I can learn here, and that I'm off to have different experiences somewhere else.

Our last visit with Patricia, the store owner where we taught English. :)
It was kind of a bummer, because we told everyone that this was my last Sunday here, and that they should come to church. Only Pam, the less active that came to church on Easter came. But hey, I was really happy to see her and sit with her. She's seriously cool. Off-beat, to say the least, but all of the LDS church out east seems to be kind of... special. Haha. And I love it.

The good news for the elders that are staying is that we have started teaching a really really cool lady named Sara. It's super refreshing to start teaching someone that shows a genuine interest and listens intently to what you have to say. And the stuff that always makes me really feel good about the work we do is when we ask someone about how they feel about what we have to say. I love when they are conscious of the peace and calm that the gospel brings. That's the good stuff, people! That's what your whole life can be like if you let it! But often times they don't... But we're trying, and she seems to have lots of potential.

Kind of a funny story about people that didn't really pan out well... We met a lady named Penny in one of the neighborhoods that has a lot of Hispanics in it. She's way nice, not super interested. A few weeks ago we waved at Penny on her front porch. A friend that was with her called out to us from across the street. Her name is Becky. She asked us to come over, and we chit chatted for a while. She was interested, so we shared the lesson. She invited us back. We came back and read the story of Nephi getting the plates from Laban. She really liked that. We had another appointment with her. But she texted us and cancelled, and said that the church isn't what is right for her in her life right now. We called and texted and tried to figure out why she wasn't interested after two really really great appointments. Becky really seemed to be getting the significance of this!

We also met a Hispanic lady named Yesica that is definitely a woman, but her mailbox said "Señor Yesica Rios." And it totally wasn't an accident, because her roommates' names were all on there properly with "Señora" or "Señor". We haven't followed up with her yet, but I'm sure that will be kind of a funny story one of these days for the Versailles elders to tell people. Haha.

The Gonzalez family. They make Spanish work function here, and are so great!
Today I'm finishing up my packing, which is not very fun to do. I'm also going to be sending home a box or two of things I have accumulated during my time here, so look forward to those. We've also got a bunch of meal appointments, which is fun, because the members are so great and want to do something nice for us, but I just hate eating so much food! Hahaha. But I'm happy to have the chance to see a few people here and there and say goodbyes and thank them for all that they have done for me in my time here.

It's a weird thing that I'm moving on to my second area. I kind of felt like I'd be here forever. Be born here and die here, in terms of my mission. And I'm kinda nervous to move off into the unknown. But I'm also excited to go see new people, some new scenery, etc. It'll be good for me, I know.

I hope all is well at home. You all sound really really good, and that makes me happy. Sorry these letters aren't awfully spiritual. I do really feel a sense of peace that is beyond my own ability to keep calm. I just didn't want to be nervous about moving and stuff. The unknown is a little scary, right? But I'm not too worked up about it, and that's a great blessing. John 14:26 talks about the Holy Ghost being the Comforter. John 14:27 talks about the peace that only the gospel of Jesus Christ and bring. My life is good because of the gospel. I know that without doubt. That's why I'm here -- trying to help others have that in their lives!

Have a good week everyone! I love you!

--Zac



April 29, 2012

The Louisville Temple President met Zac today at church and called Zac's parents to tell them what a great missionary he is.  The Temple President said that Zac is well and his Spanish is really good.  We now know that he is somewhere in Clarksville, Indiana which is just on the other side of the river from Louisville, Kentucky.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment