Sunday, April 29, 2012

Week 17 - March 5, 2012

Hi everyone!

Well, this week was a weird one for weather. Earlier it had been pretty nice, breezy, sunny, etc. We thought that we were having an early spring. And then on Friday it was cloudy and a little rainy, but nothing bad. We were visiting a family in Frankfort. They are so great, and speak the most amazing Spanglish I have ever heard. It's a good thing I'm learning Spanish, because I would never understand anything that was going on because their sentences start in Spanish, switch to English, and you never know which it will end in. Haha, I love it every time. Anyway, as we opened the door to go out to the car, the tornado sirens started. It was kind of a thrill to hear them for reals, and not just as a test they do on Saturday mornings every once in a while. It didn't look very stormy where we were. I guess the clouds turn green when a tornado is coming, so we figured the medium gray clouds were a sign we weren't really in much danger. But we went back inside and waited for 45ish minutes before the sirens went off. It rained a little, but that's the worst we got. I guess Versailles got hail, but that's all for our area. Yesterday it was chilly, and we woke up to lots of snow today. Everything is super gorgeous covered in snow, but I'm not really excited to have to clean the car off when we go out later. Haha.

Yesterday we had our second Spanish testimony meeting. We got an investigator there this time, which was great. Enrique came, and it all went really well. There was also a less active family there that we have been working with, they are actually Roxy's sister and brother-in-law. They both shared their testimonies too. It was really really cool, and we hope that if we can get a few more strong people to come into the church in the next few months that this Spanish meeting won't just be a pilot program kind of thing, but will become a consistent thing that people can really learn from and enjoy. I know I'm loving it, and we don't even have that many Hispanics right now! But we'll get there!

Speaking of Enrique, he is so cool. He loves to come to church and learn everything. And he really understands more than we initially gave him credit for. We always thought he wasn't getting anything because Spanish isn't his first language, but he really does pick most of it up. And after I asked him about how he liked the meeting, he said he enjoyed it, and started telling me about how he felt the same way as one of the people that shared their testimonies with us. We've had a hard time kind of getting to know him, so we're excited that he's opening up and enjoying it all.

The work is good. Not a lot has changed since last week. We haven't found anyone in the last couple of weeks, so that is hard. We just aren't sure where to look. As Spanish speakers, we do a lot of profiling (which sounds really bad), but we do it so that we don't have to be disappointed with yet another promising English person we meet that gets turned over to the English elders. But we've sort of covered all of Versailles already, and we're starting to tackle Frankfort. We've also done some really interesting reactivation work, and though that isn't always really really fruitful, it's really fun to interact with these people. Like a few weeks ago a ward missionary asked us to go visit a name he had on a list. She had us right in and talked to us for a long time about everything that has gone on in her life. She hasn't been active in 20 years, but still respects the church. Her testimony isn't strong, but that's what inactivity will do to people. Anyway, we do our best to encourage these people, and they are almost always so kind. It's really fun to share messages with them and get to know them a bit more. Even if they don't come to church, hopefully it gets them thinking about church. And that will get them moving one of these days.

Not much else new to write about. We find out about any transfers this Saturday, so we're a little nervous about what's going to happen. I really hope I don't get moved anywhere, because I feel like there's still work for me to do here. But if I'm meant to go, I'll do it. Elder S seems to think that I'll stay one more transfer. Four transfers in an area is pretty typical for a new missionary, and I'd like to be here that long. It's hard to believe my third transfer is ending. Six weeks sounds like a long time, but they really move pretty quickly. Wednesday marks six months since I left home, and that's just crazy! It's been fast, that's for sure.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help and support. Not everyone has that out here, so I'm really grateful for it. I know I'm far away, but just let me know how I can help you guys with anything!

Love ya!
--Zac

No pictures this week because I forgot my camera cord. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment