Monday, July 16, 2012

Week 26 - May 7, 2012


Hi everyone --

"To the Rescue" is the stake theme here, and yesterday was Stake Conference. It was fine. No investigators came, but it was kind of interesting how many Hispanics were there. There is a Spanish branch in Corydon, which isn't too far from us. A few members came, and the sister missionaries working there came down and translated. They asked if I wanted to translate, because a story that a speaker was telling was way too difficult to translate, but the funny thing is that the sister translating is a native Spanish speaker -- and she asked me to do it! I said no, because I knew none of the words (it was a story about weak marble that Michelangelo used to carve a statue that is famous now and how the touch of the master's hand can make anything beautiful... or something like that). Anyway, the speakers were good, and it was all about being good member missionaries. That's a goal that I have -- help share the gospel a little bit better after I take the name tag off. I wasn't so good at that before, but I've got lots of life left to open my mouth.

It was cool to meet the sisters serving in Corydon. They really think it would be cool to get all of the Hispanics in our area to Corydon Branch, so that they don't have to listen to translation and they can see how a normal ward functions (accommodating a second language is so hard and awkward in English wards). But it's a real sacrifice of time and money to make it there (I think it's like, 30 miles away). But we're considering it, and President gave us permission to bring investigators to all Corydon events (baptisms, ward parties, etc), so that's something to consider. Also, Hermana E, the native speaker, complemented my Spanish. If only she saw me stumble on doorsteps or in lessons. Hahaha. But it was still exciting!

Across that bridge is Louisville. You can't see it because of all of the tall trees though.
 We are still searching and talking to everyone we can. We haven't found many people that are super ready or super strong, but our planners are full of potential investigators, so we've at least gotten some contact and we can follow up with all of them. We taught one family last week that was way cool, and our lesson felt super good. We teach pretty well together, considering he's only been out one transfer and I've only been out four. We're excited for a return appointment with them. Their names are Rodrigo and Esbida, and their 11 year old son Juan. And Juan was all interested in the lesson, so that was way fun!

I don't think I told y'all this story last week, so I'll tell you now. An appointment fell through on Saturday afternoon (6ish). So we went tracting, because that's all we can do. A nice family let us in, but they only had 20 minutes. We do the best we can with the time, and invite them to church. And they came! It was way cool! And they happen to kind of know the one active Hispanic family, the Bisosos, in the ward, so they instantly had people to talk to! It was really really cool!  Their names are Abdon and Cristina, and they are super nice. The uncool part about it all was that I had to translate at church, and let me tell you, it is so hard. At least it was just testimonies. Because testimonies are usually kind of a formula it is way easier than talks. I had never translated before, and never really want to again. But I know that I'll have to do it if we can get more people to church, and I'll keep at it because church is so good. The translator doesn't get anything out of it, really. It actually becomes kind of mindless as you try to keep up with what the person is saying and change the words into a different language. But if they get something out of it, that's good! So anyway, the family missed their appointment this week, and we've popped in a few times to see how they are, but never talked to anyone. The Bisosos told us not to give up, because they cook and sell authentic Hispanic food for a living, and they said that is really laborious and tiring work. So we're going to keep trying!

I crawled around in a member's attic and ran wires everywhere (he's remodeling). Pitched roofs suck, because it's hard to get in the corner to pull wire where you need it. I got covered in insulation. You can only see a little bit here in my hair, because I had already shaken most of it off.
Occasionally zones put on challenges. I guess they are supposed to motivate missionaries to work really hard at something the zone struggles at consistently. So the challenge for two weeks (starting the day I got here) was to get as many new investigators as possible. The reward: free car wash, and military scriptures (they are awesome and tiny, and make it so you don't have to carry a gigantic set around -- and we carry them in two languages!). The elders serving near the military base have lots of ward support and opportunities to find. Apparently they always win the zone challenges. Well guess who won this challenge -- Clarksville Spanish! Because we don't have any investigators, all we can do is try to find. So that's what we did! And we won! So I'm pretty excited to get super small scriptures. It's going to be awesome to have a lighter backpack. :)  And I'm glad to finally upset the Brandenburg elders that always win everything. Hahaha.

Things are good -- we're working hard, doing good, being obedient. It's hard, and sometimes I'm kind of irritated that we don't really have anyone solid to teach, but that will change. I hope it changes before the transfer ends, but if not, maybe next transfer will be all teaching and no knocking. And by the end of the following transfer we'll be setting up the Clarksville Spanish Branch! Haha. Who knows?! All I know is that I can build the forms for the foundation to be poured, so I'm doing what I can. We're good. Hot and sweaty -- humidity is lame. But we're enjoying our time here too.

Thanks for all you do for me! I love you guys! Talk to you next week! :)

Love,
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment