Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 4 - October 6, 2011

Well, today was the day. I have been able to see my breath when we go outside. Hahaha. Today and yesterday have been rainy and gray, and I've loved it! When we were walking up to the temple this morning, the mountains right behind the temple were covered half way up with clouds! Which is nuts, since those mountains really aren't very tall! Also, there was snow way up at the top of the mountains. Everyone says it'll be gone tomorrow, and that we won't get any down on campus for a few weeks yet. Thank goodness. Hahah. Hermana S, who is from Provo, said that the trees on the MTC campus will all turn colors soon, since the weather has cooled off. Exciting!

We did sealings in the temple today, which was a cool experience. I had no idea how any of that worked, so it was fun to be in there.

Who liked Conference? I sure did! We all were gathered in the giant auditorium for Conference, and we watched all of the sessions. On Saturday night the boys got to see the Priesthood Session, and while we were there the sisters watched the RS Broadcast from last week. Everything was so good, wasn't it? Priesthood was especially great. Elder Holland sure got fired up, but he was pretty inspirational too.

Conference also made me think about the missionaries that taught Dad. Do they know how much good they did when they were teaching him? I mean, three kids all through the temple, one served a mission, one on a mission. Lots of ramifications there. They tell us that pretty often here, to remember that even though you don't know for sure which lives or how many you touched, it's a big deal. A really big deal. I think about that a lot here. What would we all be doing right now if those guys hadn't visited with Dad? Crazy, huh?

I like my new companion, Elder M. No one is perfect, but there isn't much to complain about. His Spanish has improved, even in the week that I've been with him, so that's cool. Teaching can be frustrating. I feel like they give us the tools, like Preach My Gospel, and all sorts of grammar books, but then don't give us very specific instruction on how to use them. I guess that's what makes us good missionaries, is figuring out how to be better teachers through study. Sometimes (or a lot of the time) that is really rough. When our spirits are down, our teachers almost always have a really good scripture to share with us, and they make us feel better. So at first we're mad at them for not giving us all of the answers right away, and then we love them for making us feel better about it all. It's sometimes a rough cycle, but generally it ends up being really good. I'm even understanding more of the scriptures in Spanish, which is exciting! Haha. Also, I was really frustrated with my Spanish, but after I felt the Spirit for the first time while someone was talking in it I decided I was doing okay, and that it would be just fine.
 
I won't lie, I got the best language to learn. I've met people going to Hungary, Finland, Houston TX Vietnamese speaking, Sacramento CA Hmong speaking (Google it, I had no idea it even existed. Also, he told me it's spelled like that. Haha), lost of Russian speakers, Croatian, etc, etc. Yeah, Spanish is the best. I remember Kendall said his dad thought Spanish is the eternal language. I laughed. But Hermano J says, "EspaƱol el el idioma del dioses," which is "Spanish is the language of the gods." Hahaha. I'm pretty excited to be fluent someday and be able to yack with Kyle and Tanner.
 
We've had some really good devotionals lately. One was by Chad Lewis, a former BYU football player and retired NFL player. No one in our family would know who he is, but some people were really excited he was here. Haha. Anyway, he talked about meeting with veterans of the Iraq War. They all hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa, which is a big deal. Lots of them had physical impairments, like busted eyes, or amputated legs. It made us thankful for our health and abilities. He talked about how hard they worked to get to the top of the mountain, and that we have to work hard to help others up and down this giant mountain of life. It was pretty cool.
 
I don't know what else to say. Things are going well. It's weird that my time in Provo is almost half over. Crazy, huh!? Anyway, I love you all! Thanks for everything!

Much love,
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment