Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 5 - October 13, 2011

Five weeks here already? It's weird that my time here is already half over, and that this time next month I'll be in Kentucky teaching the gospel!

The most exciting thing that happened here was that I was called as the District Leader. They switch at the halfway mark, and Elder S had diligently led our little group through the first four weeks. I don't do a lot, but I am learning all of the responsibilities. Luckily we all get along, so I don't have to help companionship's work out differences or anything. The biggest thing I do is get the mail, and everyone has to be nice to me, or else they won't get it! Haha, kidding, but everyone pays a lot of attention to me when I say I'm going to the mailbox. I also meet twice a week with all of the other district leaders and the coordinating sister (Hermana S, who is in my district). We get leadership training and discuss the needs and successes of our groups. President D is so cool, and I've already learned a lot from him. I actually look forward to leadership training because of how cool he is. I also have awesome Zone Leaders, so that helps too.

Things have warmed up a little bit. Last Thurs-Sunday were pretty chilly, but all of the snow on the close mountains is gone, and snow on the far mountains is melting. I could still see my breath this morning on our way up to the temple, but the MTC President, President Brown, said it's time for Elders to wear suit coats everyday (thank goodness I brought two pairs of pants for my coat!), so I'm always nice and warm because I always have a suit coat on.

Things with our investigators have gotten tricky. One, Ivan, says he doesn't think he needs to be baptized because he was baptized as a kid in the Catholic church. It's hard to explain why he needs to do it in English, so doing it in Spanish is sometimes rough. But it's a super good learning opportunity, because that's something I'll probably face when I get out there. Also, we've taken on the role of investigators this week for other companionship's in our district to teach. That really helps us identify with how investigators feel if the missionaries ask genuine questions, explain things clearly, are kind and approachable, etc.

Estoy aprendiendo mucho espaƱol, cada dia (I'm learning lots of Spanish everyday). The grammar is getting harder, but it's actually making the scriptures make more sense! I'm still kind of scared of them, but I totally see how helpful it is. I also see the way that I've progressed since I got here. I understand so much more in class now than I did before. We've instituted "Hablar Su Idioma" (Speak Your Language) days twice a week, where we only speak in Spanish except for gym time and a meal or two. We're at the point where we even have some fun with it, and it's helping us learn a lot more about how to say things, so that's good. It is really frustrating sometimes, but most days I leave class and feel good and positive about how everything is going.

Kyle told me that finding things in your suitcases would be like Christmas. I didn't think much about it until I opened up the little cardboard box my contacts are in and I found all sorts of stuff in there!! I found my ordinance cards, some chapstick, some vials for oil. It was the best day ever!!! Hahaha, so thanks, Kyle, for telling me that before I left. It totally felt like Christmas. :)

Guess who spoke to us on Tuesday at Devotional? Julie B. Beck, none other than the General Relief Society President! I chuckled when I heard who was coming (remember "Mothers Who Know"?), but she was super good! She talked about the progression of the church in Brazil. Her dad was a mission president when she was a really little girl, and the government stopped issuing visas to Americans. So the stake presidents scooped up young men for surprised interviews, gave them haircuts and filled out their paperwork in one night! That was hard, but she said that through their faith, a temple was built in Sao Paulo, they married in the temple, and now a lot of those men that were the first Brazilian missionaries are becoming Brazilian mission presidents. Cool, eh? God's work never stops.

I also read the coolest scripture this week. Alma 31:5. Look it up. It talks about the word of God being the most influential thing in our lives. More than any sword, more than anything out there. Isn't it the truth? It's the only thing that will change our hearts and minds so completely.

Thanks for all of your love and support! You guys brighten my week with your letters and cards!

Elder Za
c


No comments:

Post a Comment