Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week 6 - October 20, 2011


Hey everyone!

Sounds like everything is going well back in AZ. On Monday I got the package you guys sent me (thanks for everything! It was all perfect!), and a letter from Macki and a letter from Kyle! The whole family in one day! It was pretty awesome. Also, I loved the pictures you guys sent up of Seattle and everything else. I had a lot of fun showing them the picture of Dad planking! Hahaha.


We've been busy this week with teaching, being investigators, etc. It's hard to believe that on Monday I'll only have two weeks left here in Provo. This place really isn't a prison like other people said. Maybe by the time I'm packing I'll have changed my mind, but time moves so quickly that I'll probably be startled that it's already time to leave!


Being District Leader is going well enough. We don't have any serious behavioral problems or anything, so that's good. Checking the mail twice a day is easily the most exciting thing. I'm pretty fortunate, because I think I get the most mail. Everyone gets some letters though, so we're always enjoying checking the return address to see who has written us.


It was kinda crazy, on Tuesday (I think), they did a giant evacuation drill. We had done a fire drill once before, where we stood in the parking lot and waited for the all-clear, but this time they shepherded us up to the big grass field just down from the temple where we have gym. It was super cold that morning, and the Elders were fortunate to have to wear coats now. The Sisters weren't as lucky, and a lot of them were wearing flimsy cardigans or just normal blouses, no jackets. Most mornings you can see your breath, but don't need a scarf or anything. We haven't had snow since that first time a few weeks ago either. People keep telling me it'll get colder before I leave though, so we'll see how that is.


Guess who visited us on Tuesday night for Devotional? Richard G. Scott! That's the third apostle and forth General Authority! Nuts, huh? It's kinda weird that they're all getting so old. I guess I forget that we have a bunch of young (relatively) apostles too, but I haven't really grown up with them like I have with these ones. But he was good. He's always so genuine and caring. He used a lot of audience participation though.  Elder Scott was super nice, and it was a good meeting.


I'm getting more and more excited to go teach real people, which is good. I just met a Sister yesterday whose best friend served in Louisville, Spanish speaking. I guess there are tons of illegals there, which is sometimes hard because the move around or get shipped home. But they need the truth too, right? But she said her friend came home sounding like he'd spoken Spanish his whole life, so that's pretty exciting! I've kind of worried about how much Spanish I'm going to use, but I guess it ultimately doesn't matter. It was still really good to hear that I'll use it though. Haha.


Things here really are going well. I can tell the way my Spanish has changed when I think back to the first few days. Now I read quicker, speak quicker, and understand so much better! The Scriptures are still rough. Really rough. But what would this adventure be without a little struggle? The District Leaders and Coordinating Sister had some training last week from a teaching supervisor, Hermano P, and he put it into good perspective. He said the objective in the MTC is not to create master linguists. I won't become a master at Spanish while I'm here. The real goal is to train people to teach the word as best they can, and to give them enough Spanish to do that. I absolutely have enough Spanish now, and it's growing all the time.


Thanks for all of your love and support! I feel your prayers help me everyday.


I love you all!


Zac

 

No comments:

Post a Comment