Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week 3 - September 29, 2011

What? Where does the time go? Three weeks here is really deceiving. I guess the whole mission is like this though, so it's no wonder people say it flies by. I'm already one-third one with my time at the MTC! And there's still so much to learn!

Everything here is going well. I had a better week this week than last week. My companions left last night and are probably arriving in the Dominican Republic within the next hour or two if they aren't already there. Another member of our district, Elder D left for the DR too, so our district is down to 7. It seems so small now! We're sad their gone. Even though I got really irritated with both of my companions yesterday, by the time they left it was really sad to see them off. They'll do awesome stuff though, and Elder G is such a hard worker that I know his Spanish is going to explode the second he gets down there. He is easily the most improved out of anyone over the course of our three weeks here. Now all four of us Elders in the district are going stateside, two to Las Vegas East Mission, one to Albuquerque, NM, and me to KY. Two Sisters are going to Cordoba, Argentina, and one Sister is going to San Francisco/Oakland Temple Visitors Center.


My new companion is Elder M, from New Jersey. He's super nice. He and the two other Elders in our district moved down into my room because it was bigger and had more desk space. Haha. We went to the scheduling office a few days ago and asked if the three guys could moved down to my room because it's way better than the one they were in before, and they said it wasn't a problem! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? Plus, I didn't have to move any of my stuff, which was an awesome bonus. I am kind of dreading having to pack in 6 weeks though. Watching the other Elders do it made it look super terrible. I hope I can pack as nicely as Dad did for me. Hahaha.


I'm learning a lot everyday. Sometimes it's frustrating, because we're never told exactly what to teach our progressing investigators. We need to find out what their needs are, what will help them, and what will help them feel the Spirit and build their faith. Right now we're teaching Juan Carlos and Ivan (separately). They are a new challenge because they aren't very receptive and aren't good at commitments. Just prepping us for the real world I guess, even if it makes planning and teaching a little stressful sometimes.


My Spanish is coming along. Mom, I liked that scripture you sent me (Ether 12:27). Just a few days before I had gone to a fireside, and the speaker talked about how we have to let God take care of everything. I don't ask for help very well, so that's something I'm still working on, but I have seen my Spanish really improve as I've worked hard, but also asked for help and had the faith that Spanish is what I need to study. I gave one of my teachers a high five after I read a verse in the Book of Mormon that had grammar that we just learned in it! Haha. On a side note, reading the scriptures in Spanish is tough business. That is something I can't really do right now. Preach My Gospel is way easier, but that is frustrating sometimes too. It's pretty common for everyone to have their English scriptures, PMG, dictionary on their desk, along with their Spanish scriptures, Predicad Mi Evangelio, and other language books. Haha.


The weather here is great. Mornings are a little bit cold, but we always go outside for gym period because of how great it is. The trees on the mountain are really starting to change, and I'm so excited about it! I'm way less excited about potential snow we could get before I leave, and other terrible cold weather situations. Haha. But it's good practice for Kentucky I guess.


I guess I don't have much else. It's hard to know what I have and haven't told y'all. I know I need to be here though, so I keep on pushing through! I'm glad y'all are doing well! Thanks for everything!


Love,

Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment