Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week 38 - July 30, 2012


Hi everyone!

Yesterday was a good day for a few reasons. Let me tell you about them!

We had lots of people come to church again, so that was cool. It's hard. And crazy. And wears you out. But good, too. :)  Aida came for her last Sunday in Indiana. She's moving to Louisville this week (if all goes well with the apartment). We are sad to see her go, but she has already been to the branch over there and has made friends with a lot of people, so we think that it's for the best that she goes to a unit where there are more Hispanics for her to interact with. She is so amazing, and after Gospel Principles class she said, "I just want to tell y'all something. Thank you so much for being so kind and helping me learn the gospel." And she talked about how good she feels now, how strong she is now, and that she's so happy, etc, because she has come to know the awesomeness of the church! It was possibly the neatest experience of my mission to hear someone that I met, taught, and watched progress talk about their love for the gospel.

If that wasn't my favorite moment, it's possible that going to Michael's baptism was my favorite mission moment. The Assistants work in the Louisville Singles branch, and they are the ones that received Michael after we contacted him in the park a while back. They come play basketball with us on Mondays, so we would ask how he was doing, progressing, etc. They told us a few weeks ago about his baptism, and we really really wanted to go. So, we asked the Assistants what the rule was on it. Technically, we aren't really allowed to leave our area for stuff like that unless the investigator requests that the missionaries come. But the Assistants asked president (after all, we're only 20 minutes away), and we got to come! So being friends with mission leaders is helpful. Haha.

When he came around the corner and saw us, he was absolutely stunned! Totally speechless. He was really excited that we were there, and after the baptism he told us that we were the third set of missionaries that had met him and tried to share the gospel with him. For whatever reason, he decided to give it a try after we saw him that day at the park. And here he is, a strong convert! He is so so so cool. It was way fun to be there for him. Also, it was so bizarre to be around a lot of singles. I'm really glad that I'll never serve in that branch because I'd just want to pal around with them and do normal stuff. Haha. Anyway, it was just kinda crazy to watch it all happen, because it was the miracle of missionary work in action. Here's the timeline: Contacted in a park -- nice conversation -- receive address and phone number -- pass it along to other missionaries -- he is taught -- he keeps commitments -- he gains a testimony -- he is baptized! Most of the time that line never really makes it past the "taught" phase, since not everyone keeps commitments or gains testimonies. But it happened! And we witnessed it! It was cool. :)


As the big-wig district leader I am (joke), I went on two exchanges into other areas last week. It was hard leaving our car behind -- I'm super paranoid that another missionary is going to screw it up. But I left it and Elder S behind to work in two English areas for a day. One day was in a bike area, and I just about died. It was so hot that day! But I definitely got a tan, so that was exciting. Then a few days later I worked in a car area, but we still walked a lot, so I tanned a little more! It was kinda lame, because neither companionship had any appointments, so all we did was contact people and tract. Pretty ordinary days. But it's fun to spend time with other missionaries and get a breather from your area and your companion.

I think that's about all that we were up to this week. We're doing good. It's so hard to believe that it's just about August. Where has the time gone? Before I know it I'll be heading into my second (and final) winter. And phone calls. And General Conferences. All that jazz. It's crazy! But really really cool too.

Thanks for everything! Have a good week!

Love,
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment