Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week 36 - July 16, 2012


Hi family --

Sure enough, I turned 22 last week! It's kinda funny, when a new transfer starts you go through your planner and write in all of you meetings and all of the dates. I had decorated my birthday in some colored pens way back at the beginning of last transfer, and it was kind of startling when we were planning for our lessons and things last week that my birthday had already come! It seemed like so long ago that I had decorated that page. Anyway, I had a great birthday this year. I got the packages from you guys, and from the Farrs as well. I loved everything, especially my beautiful new watch! :)  It's even cooler because it's from a car-maker. Hahaha. And then the Alldaffer's had us over that night for cake, and that was lots of fun. They seriously are the coolest family ever! Also, the sister missionaries serving in Charlestown decorated a planner for me for this transfer (everyone cuts out quotes and pictures from old Ensigns to make the planners a little more exciting). They put scriptures every few pages and things. It's awesome. And then yesterday, the super awesome Bisoso family found out that my birthday last week and are having us over this Thursday for some authentic Mexican food. They joined the church 6 years ago and have stuck it out all this time, even though they aren't fluent in English (they are pretty good though) because they know it's true. They are easily the coolest convert family I have ever met.

Happy Birthday to me!
So anyway, we had a good week. Something else cool happened on Thursday besides commemorating the day that I came into the world. We were on exchanges with our district leader and his companion. Elder S was off riding a bike in their area, and Elder D was with me in our area. We had a really cool appointment with Rodrigo and Esbeyda. Because I was the only Spanish missionary, I was the only one teaching. Which is actually kind of awesome, because that means I am in complete control. Normally Elder S and I do pretty good together, but it's fun to know exactly where you're going with things. We see the potential in Rodrigo and Esbeyda, so I kind of got on them (lovingly) about not reading and praying and coming to church. She just got a new job so she doesn't work Sundays (answer to prayer and fasting!!!!!). But they aren't progressing. So we read some scriptures and I explained why we harp and push the Book of Mormon. If it's true, then Joseph Smith was a prophet. If he was a prophet, then Christ's church has been restored. If it's been restored, we don't need to look anywhere else for any kind of answers or guidance because it's all in one place! And at the end I just poured my heart out to them, telling them how amazing the gospel is, and how God loves them and wants them to be happy. I told them that this stuff is true. We aren't brainwashed zombies that do this. We are people that want to share the awesomeness with others! It was so still and quiet and warm and awesome. I know that they were feeling the Spirit, and we have high hopes that after yet another really great experience with them like that that they will keep going, and get acting on everything.

Aida is doing well. She went to a branch in Louisville yesterday, because she was visiting her son over there. That's the 8th Sunday in a row that she's been to church. :) She was just so ready for this stuff in her life.

Interesting news! Elder S and I are staying together for another transfer. This will be the longest that I've ever been with one companion. The other interesting news... President called us on Saturday (that's the day everyone finds out if they're training or moving or going to be a leader). He asked me to be the district leader here! Kinda crazy. It isn't a giant deal -- you have to keep track of the numbers for the district and be a good example and put together some district meetings. I'm a little nervous, but it should all be okay.

That's about all for this week I think. We're doing good. We've gotten some rain. I love hearing the people here give thanks for the rain that "is so desperately needed" in their prayers. So your grass is a little yellow. You don't know nothin' 'bout a drought. Haha. But seriously, I'm glad it has rained. I want some green green grass while I'm out here!

Thanks for all you do for me! Y'all are the best!

Love,
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment