Monday, December 19, 2011

Week 4 - December 5, 2011


Hi family --

Another week down here in Versailles. This week seemed to go by really really quickly, which is weird because we were kind of slow. We aren't allowed to knock doors after dark (which happens so early! like 5.45ish), because it's super creepy for strangers to be at your door at night. So if we don't have appointments with investigators or members, we really struggle with things to do.

We spent some more time in the hospital this week. Manuel, the one who had that hernia fixed a few weeks ago, was back in the hospital this week. He was in real pain, and it was uncomfortable to be in the ER with him because you could tell how bad he felt. Turns out he needed to have his appendix taken out. Tough luck, right? Two surgeries in about two weeks.

President and Sister Woodbury came out on Tuesday for interviews. Our district is pretty spread out, so we all have to drive to the most central church building to meet up with him. It was really great to see them. They are so excited about the work and the missionaries, so even though I hardly know them, I am excited to talk to them whenever they're around. Sister Woodbury and I chatted for a while. She is so fun. She brings her sewing machine to every district they visit so she can mend clothes for us. Haha. I don't have any to fix yet, thank goodness. After she and I chatted, I saw President. The meeting was pretty short, since I haven't been out very long. But he did tell me something that was cool. He said that he is so excited for missionaries that come out here speaking a different language because it's possible that they will experience something the other missionaries will never understand -- he said to pay special attention to moments when I'm feeling the Spirit in Spanish. It could very well be the gift of tongues that is helping me understand or speak, and that those experiences are real blessings that others won't get to have. Kinda cool, eh? I don't know if that's happened just yet, but I'm on the lookout for it!

Church yesterday was good. We had lots of Spanish people there, so we had Gospel Principles in Spanish again! A Spanish speaker in the ward, Hermano Gonzalez, teaches it for us, and he does a great job. It's so fun to see these new members and investigators soaking up everything and watch them use it and answer questions! Ahhh, it's so fun. Plus, we have several Spanish speaking members that attend that with us, and so they're a great help.

We're seeing lots more Christmas trees in windows of the houses we drive past (and ones we visit). I can't believe that it's December, and that I'll talk to you guys soon. There are a few families that have briefly mentioned having us over that day, so I know we'll be taken care of. It's funny the stuff you take for granted while you have it, and then realize you miss it when you're gone. I miss putting up lights in the yard. People in our apartment complex line their windows and string them on the railings, but it isn't quite as cool as wrapping a tree. Also, the trees here are either too bush and full, or way too tall to wrap them the way we wrap mesquite trees in AZ. Haha. I'm so not in the desert anymore. 

At our correlation meeting we have every Wednesday with the ward mission leader, Elder A shared a scripture from Isaiah 41:13 that says: "For I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." For a second I thought it was funny. We always joke about holding peoples' hands through stuff when they can't do it themselves. But then I thought about how much I'd like God to hold my hand through all of this -- and He is. He did it before I came out here when I was willing to take the help, He pulled me through the MTC by the hand, and now He's doing the same here in Kentucky. It's not always easy, but there's always help from above.

Things are good. I'm learning so much everyday -- especially about myself. You all are the best, and I appreciate everything you do for me!

Love,
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment