Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 3 - November 28, 2011

Hi everyone,

Well, last week was Thanksgiving, and let me tell you, I'm surprised I don't weight 500 pounds. The member here are so nice to us, and we ended up seeing four different families that day! It was lots of fun. First we visited Renee and her family around noon. She married the guy she was living with (who was an inactive member) and got baptized when Elder S first got to the area about 7 or 8 months ago. Well, it turns out they're getting a divorce. Which is sad, right? But listen to how cool she is. They had been taking temple prep classes to go be sealed. Well, just because she isn't going to be sealed, doesn't mean she can't go through the temple! So she's still taking the classes to go through in a few months. She's way excited about the church, and won't let a divorce shake her up. You go, Renee!

Us with Renee. She's so cool!
We were so stuffed with food already (and leftovers in the car), and went on over to the Johnson's. They have a beautiful big lot on the outskirts of Frankfort. The food wasn't ready, so we jumped on the trampoline and ran around with their kids in their big old field out their back door. We had another appointment to go to, so we ended up not eating there because they were really behind. But Sister Johnson had made us each an individual pie, so we told them we'd come back later.

Then we went over to the Christenson's house. They are so cool. They are both in their early 30s, both had previous marriages. But they found each other, live way out in the middle of no where in a really pretty house, and are always managing the chaos of the 6 kids that they have (blended family, of course). I want to be them someday, because all they do is laugh and smile, even when the kids are screaming or stealing food, etc. We played Thanksgiving Bingo with them, and when you won, you got a homemade hotpad -- you know, one of those bags of rice you microwave and then throw in your bed or on your back. I haven't used mine yet, but I'm so excited about it!

The Christenson's. They rock.
My awesome hotpad from Sister Christenson. I haven't used it yet, but I'm way excited!
Then we went to the Lilly's. We were so stuffed with food that we just packed up some plates for leftovers. We hung out a little bit, and then went back to the Johnson's for our pies. We chatted with them for a while and then went home. It was a good day. President called it a "non-proselyting day," which basically means hang out. So we did.

The other big news this week is that on Saturday, Jubileo was baptized! Shalonda was supposed to be baptized too, but we found out she smokes, so we set a date for her in December so she has time to quit. But Jubileo was so excited to get baptized and become an official member of the ward. Elder S told me I was going to baptize him. I didn't ask or anything, he just wanted me to have the experience early on, so I said okay! Haha. The water in the font was cold, but that's okay. It was funny. I had to say the words three times, because it was in Spanish, but I only had to dunk him once, and I think that's better. Haha. It was good to see how excited he was for this, and he really is excited about being a member. 

Us with Jubileo! The other kid's name is Yunior.
Church was good yesterday. I really love this ward, and it's kind of sad to think that at some point I'll leave. The church just came out with at 12 week training program in August, so I'm probably going to be here until I'm done with that, but after the training is over, it's possible I'll move. President said most newbies don't get moved for the first two or three transfers, but you never know. Elder S will probably be here with me at least until the training is over. He'd like to stay here until he finishes in April, but he thinks he'll move, since he's been here so long. But the members love him, and I think they can really see how hard he works.

This week we spent the night in Frankfort with the Elders there for 3 or 4 nights, because we can't waste miles driving from Versailles to Frankfort everyday. It was fun to hang out with other Elders, but at the same time, it was really nice to get back to our apartment. It's cleaner, nicer, etc. We had been up there partly because of baptism preparations for Jubileo, but also because one Elder, I'll just call him Elder X, has been having a rough time. He came out with me, and hasn't adjusted to everything just yet, so we went on splits with them, and the Zone Leaders came down because they're in a Singles Branch in Lexington that's dead right now. I don't know if the crazy day of new Elders and knocking doors helped Elder X, but I sure learned a lot. I like the Zone Leaders a lot, so I had fun knocking doors in a trailer park. I made a contact with a Hispanic lady we're going to visit tomorrow, so that's exciting! Haha. 

A member gave us a Christmas tree! Yay!
Things here are good. I got Tanner's letters in the mail this week, and he sounds good. He's super inspirational in his, so I'll try to lift y'all up a little more in mine. Just know that I'm out here because I have a testimony. I was long past the questions from other people about "are you going on a mission?" I was old enough that they had mostly stopped asking. But I got it all figured out, and realized that this was something good. That's why I'm here. That's why I'm willing to go out and do things that are uncomfortable, far away, soon to be cold and snowy. Because it's good and right, and there's no going back.

It's hard sometimes, but more often than not, God fills in all of the things I can't do when I turn and ask Him for help. You feel kind of selfish when you realize how much you're changing on a mission, not just helping other people change. But it's good that way, because you need to be lifted up sometimes too. We're the rock for investigators, but we need a rock too, and that's what emails are for! Hearing from everyone is really great.

Keep on doing good everyone. Thanks for everything you do for me!

Much love,  
Zac
I found this fortune in the pocket of the gray suit y'all sent me. I might have gotten it after a Priesthood session of Conference of something, but I'm not sure. I put all sorts of fun stuff like that in the journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment