Monday, December 19, 2011

Week 5 - December 12, 2011

Hey there,

Well, it cooled down a lot here this week! The grass is always super icy every morning, and our cars are covered in it all the time. Puddles and really small ponds are freezing over pretty regularly, so it seems like winter is here. The coldest I've seen it is 22F, I think. But we were inside, so it wasn't a big deal. Seeing your breath in the middle of the day is pretty normal now, so I guess I'll be bundled up until March or so. Haha. Someone told us last night that this winter isn't supposed to be too terribly cold though. so that's good. Hahaha.


We've been visiting with a man named Carlos this week. He's so cool. He really wants to change his life, and he's had some rough times lately. He came to church with a recent convert, Irma, and he really likes it. It's been fun to get to know him and talk to him. He's kind of the first person that Elder S and I have started working with together. Basically everyone else has been meeting with the Elders for a while, so this was way cool to really start working with someone from the beginning. He has tons of potential, and really wants to do good. I'm super excited to help him out.

We had the Frankfort Ward Christmas Party this week, and that was great! It didn't have the visual pizazz of a Bear Canyon Christmas party, but everything here is done on a way smaller scale since this is the only ward in the whole city of Frankfort, and covers the surrounding towns that are 10 to 12 miles away. But there were tons of Hispanic people that showed up, and it was so cool to see the Spanish speaking members (mostly former missionaries and a few Hispanic members) talk to them and be their friends. Santa made a run through while we were eating dinner, then the primary sang, YW sang, YM sang, Melchizedek Priesthood sang, RS sang, etc. I really love this ward a lot. They are so cool. I know you guys would have lots of friends here.


Church was good. We had Gospel Principles in Spanish again, and it's still my favorite part of the three hour block. The Hispanic/Spanish speaking members that attend are all so solid and have great imput. We have members that served in Venezuela, Omaha Nebraska (even more random than Spanish in Kentucky to me, haha), Columbia, Argentina, etc. There are several really great speakers here that help us out a lot.

We also gave a training on Mormon.org for the third hour of church. Everyone should have a mormon.org profile they can share with people! Do it! If nothing else, just watch all of the super cool videos on there. They are awesome, and my testimony has grown as I've watched all of those videos of people sharing their stories.

This week was just better than some previous weeks. I always have lots of good stuff to write, because there's a lot of good stuff that's happening, but I feel like I had less sad or frustrating stuff happen. Yay for progress! 

Splits with Elder L and Yunior (15 yrs old)
We watched Irma's son, Agustin, be ordained a Deacon yesterday. It made me think a lot about the ways that these people are moving forward to have the same happiness that we have. We're so fortunate to have the church. I thought about how tough retention of new converts is, and it made me happy that Dad had the strength to stick with it and/or the support to help him. I feel so optimistic for Irma and her family, and it makes me excited to do more work.

Things are good. Yeah, it's rough sometimes, but I'm learning a lot, and really enjoying Kentucky!

Thanks for everything!

Much love from the South,
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment